Do not take more than 40 minutes for this task. Write at least 250 words.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Type 1 – Opinion Essays
1. Every year several languages are dying out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent you agree or disagree?
2. Some people believe that cooking at home is a waste of time. They feel it is better to buy fast food which is more convenient and less stressful in modern life. Do you agree or disagree?
3. The tendency for human beings to copy one another is shown in the popularity of fashions in clothes and other consumers goods. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. It is a good thing for senior management positions to have very high salaries compared to other workers of the same company or organization. To what extent do you agree?
5. It is better for the students to live away from the home during their university studies rather than staying with their parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
6. By paying more to employees on the basis their performance, the employer can keep their motivation high. Do you agree this is the best way to encourage employees?
7. Most people think that the most important things in life are free and cannot be bought.
Do you agree or disagree?
8. Rich countries are providing financial aid to poor countries, but that does not solve the problem. So, they should also help them in other ways. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Billions of dollars are spent on space research every year. Some argue that this money can be used for improving living conditions of people on Earth. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
10. It is felt that some criminals should be given unpaid jobs to contribute to the community.
Do you agree or disagree?
11. Some experts think that when a country is already rich then any further increase in wealth does not make its citizens happier. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Planting trees in open spaces in cities is better than building new houses.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. The values learned from parents and family have a greater influence on the future success than the knowledge and skills learned from school. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
14. Once children start school, teachers have more influence than parents on their intellectual and social development. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
15. Many urgent problems that the world faces today can be solved only through international cooperation. Do you agree or disagree?
16. In many countries, plastic shopping bags are the main type of rubbish. They cause water pollution and land pollution, so they should be banned. To what extent do you agree?
17. Buying fashionable clothes is wasteful because people do not need new clothes all the time. People should buy and use clothes more wisely. Do you agree or disagree?
18. To learn a foreign language, you need to spend time in the country where the language is spoken. Do you agree or disagree?
19. When a country develops its technology, traditional skills and way of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive. How far do you agree?
20. Trees are essential for our existence. Yet, all around the world forests are being destroyed. Many feel that individuals can do little and only governments and large companies can halt the destruction. How far do you agree?
21. As populations grow and cities become crowded there is pressure to construct taller buildings to provide accommodation and offices. Many people object to such a development citing social and physical dangers. Do you agree with the idea of skyscrapers?
22. Some people think that the best way to increase road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving cars or riding motorbikes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
23. Using cell phones and computers made communication among people much easier. As a result, letter writing could be lost in the future. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
24. Museums and art galleries should show something from their own country rather than collections from international sources. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
25. Some people think that watching sports in one’s free time is just a waste of time. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement?
26. Some argue that government should pay for large pieces of art like sculptures to be displayed in public places outdoors. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
27. In the past, the main role of teachers was providing information. Today with various sources of information available to students, teachers have no role in modern education. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
28. Some people think that the government is wasting money on the arts and that this money could be better spent elsewhere. To what extent do you agree with this view?
29. When designing building the intended use of the building should be taken into account as important rather than the outward appearance. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
30. Some people think that government should take care of disadvantaged people such as unemployed and homeless people. Do you agree or disagree?
31. It is more important for public money to be spent on promoting healthy lifestyle to prevent illness than spending it treating people who are ill. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
32. People especially mothers very often decide to stay at home to look after their family instead of going to work. Do you think government should pay them a salary for it?
33. Some people feel that to reduce traffic congestion and pollution, government should increase the tax on the petrol. To what extent do you agree?
34. Increasing crime among young people can be reduced by providing parenting skills to parents. Do you agree or disagree?
35. Caring for children is probably the most important job in any society. Because of this, all mothers and fathers should be required to take a course that prepares them to be good parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this view?
36. Government investment in the visual arts, the kind you commonly see in art galleries, is a waste of money. Governments must invest this money in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
37. Some people think that it is the responsibility of companies and private individuals, not government to clean up the pollution they have created. To what extent u agree or disagree.
38. Some people think that only staff who worked in the company for a long time should be promoted to higher positions. What is your opinion on this?
39. People are surrounded by advertisements. Some think advertisements affect what they think is important and have a negative influence on their lives. Do you agree or disagree?
40. Some people say that advertisements on television is useful for the viewers whereas others disagree. What is your opinion on this?
41. Some say that the most important thing about being rich is that one has the opportunities to help others. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
42. In the modern world, it is no longer necessary to use animals for food or use animal products, for instance, clothing and medicines. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
43. Some people feel that it is important to focus on present rather than wasting time on planning for future. Do you agree or disagree?
44. More and more people are becoming seriously overweight. Some people suggest that as a solution to this problem, governments should increase the price of fast foods. To what extend do you agree or disagree?
45. In some places, there are many social problems involving teenagers. Some people say this is because parents spend much of their time at work and not at home. Do you agree or disagree?
Type 2 – Discussion Essays
1. Some people believe that women should play an equal role to men in a country’s police force and military force, such as the army. Others say women are not suited to this kind of work. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
2. Some people think that rest and sleep are the best methods to relax while others think that it can be done by involving in some activities like sports. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
3. Some people support the development in agriculture such a factory farming and scientific creation of new tastes in fruits and vegetables. Others oppose such developments.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
4. Some people say that politicians have more influence than scientists. Others say that scientists have more influence. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. Some think that government should spend money on sports facilities for training top athletes while some think that government should spend money for sports facilities for everybody. Discuss and give you opinion.
6. Some people think it is better to live in countryside to have a healthy lifestyle while other claim city has more health benefits. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
7. Majority of the people regard increase in business and cultural contacts between the countries as a positive development. Others, however, think it leads to the loss of national identity. Discuss both views and give opinion?
8. Some people prefer job satisfaction than job security, while others believe that permanent job is better than job satisfaction. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
9. Some people say that educational qualification brings success in life while some others say that educational qualifications alone will not bring success. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Many companies sponsor sports as way to advertise themselves. Some believe this is good for the world of sports while others disagree. Discuss and give your opinion.
11. In many countries, a few people earn extremely high salaries. Some say it is a good thing for the country. Others disagree and say government should not allow this and there should be a limit on salaries. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
12. Some people feel that the use of mobile phones should be banned in crowded public places while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
13. Some people are becoming more interested in family history research. Others argue we should focus on the present and future generation. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
14. In many countries, good schools and medical facilities are available only in cities. Some people think that new teachers and healthcare workers should work in rural areas for a few years while others feel that people should be free to choose where they work. Discuss booth views and write your opinion.
15. Some people think that earning money is to enjoy life. Some others think earning money is to provide for the future. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
16. Some people think that it is best to have a detailed plan for activities in their free time while others do not agree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
17. Some people think it is more beneficial to play sports that are played in teams, e.g. football. However, some people think it is more beneficial to play individual sports, e.g. tennis and swimming. Discuss about both views and give your own opinion.
18. In some countries teenagers are allowed to work part-time jobs. Some people say it is a good thing, but others disagree. Discuss both views. Give your own opinion.
19. Some people work for the same organisation all their working life. Other think that it is better to work for different organisations. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
20. Some people think that charity organizations should give aid to those who need urgent help wherever they live, while others say that these organisations should serve the needy only in their country. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
21. Some people believe that best city is vertical city where people live and work in tall buildings while others think horizontal city where there are few tall buildings are better.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
22. Some people believe that school children should not be given homework by their teachers, whereas others argue that homework plays an important role in the education of children. Discuss both of these views and give your own opinion.
23. Some people believe bicycle has several advantages whereas others believe bicycle has more disadvantages. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
24. Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is in order to travel to or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reasons why someone should learn a foreign language. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
25. Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
26. Some people believe that modern day individuals are dependent on each other. Others think that they are independent of each other. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
27. Some people believe that the best way to travel within a city is by car. Others believe it is best to travel by bicycle. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
28. Nowadays for work reasons, many families move to other countries. Some people feel that this poses problems for the children in these families whereas others feel this has many benefits for children. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
29. In some cultures, the old age is highly valued, while in others youth is more valued. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
30. Some people believe that all zoos are cruel and should be closed. Others, however, believe that it is very useful in protecting rare animals. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
31. Some people think that it is necessary to use animals for testing medicines intended for human use. Others, however, feel that it is not right to use animals for this purpose. Discuss both of these views and give you own opinion.
32. Some people think that lowering maximum speed limit increase road safety. Others, however, believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
33. Some people find it beneficial to enrol the young children in nursery school before primary school while others think it is good to keep children with families. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
34. Some people think that advances in technology are beneficial for worker. Others say they are a disadvantage. Discuss and give you own opinion.
35. Some people think that sports have an important role in the society but others consider it as only a leisure activity. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
36. Some argue that modern technology encourages more social behaviour in people. Others feel it makes people less sociable. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
37. Some people think that international competitive sports such as football bring conflict between people of different age groups and nationalities. Others think sport is helping improve understanding between people and nations. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
38. Some people think that the teenage age is the happiest time of most people’s lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness, in spite of greater responsibilities.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
39. Some argue that giving presents and gifts to family and friends is important to show them you care. Others argue say that there are other better ways to show our love for them. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
40. Some people feel that young people must be encouraged to leave home when they are adults while some feel it is better for them to remain with family as long as possible. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
41. In some cultures, old age is highly valuable, while some cultures young age is more valued. Discuss both attitudes and give your opinion.
42. Some people think that government should give more care and financial support for the retired people. Other think that they should save the money own their own before they become old. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
43. Some argue that university students should study what they like while others feel that they should be allowed to study only subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
44. Some people think that public libraries are unnecessary. Others think that it will perform useful services. Discuss both the views and give your opinion?
45. Some people believe all wild animals should be protected while others think only a few wild animals need to be saved. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
46. Some people believe that to be successful at a sport you need a natural ability while others think that hard work and practice can make you successful. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
Type 3 – Advantages – disadvantages Essays
1. In some cities, planners tend to arrange shops, schools, houses and offices in specific areas separating from each other. Do the advantages of this policy outweigh the disadvantages?
2. Most countries want to improve the standard of living through economic development. However, some think that the social value is lost as a result when this happens.
Do the advantages of economic development outweigh the disadvantages?
3. Parent often buy their children many toys. What are the advantages and disadvantages of children having a large number of toys?
4. Women take maternity leaves from their jobs.
Do you think the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
5. In many cities today, most people live in large apartment blocks. Does this kind of accommodation have more advantages or disadvantages?
6. Social media has replaced the traditional methods of communicating and people use more and more of social media to communicate and to follow news and events. Do you think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
7. Some cities have vehicles-free days, when private cars, trucks, motorcycles are banned in the city centres. Public transportations like buses, taxis and metros are advised instead. Do you think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages?
8. Research shows that many business meetings and training are increasingly taking place online. Do advantages outweigh disadvantages?
9. Today food travels many miles from farms to reach consumers. Some people believe that people should eat food produced by local farmers as it is good for environment and economy. Do the advantages of this outweigh disadvantages?
10. More and more people are opting for readymade food rather than preparing themselves. Does this practice have more advantages than disadvantages?
11. Nowadays it is common for students to take a year off to travel or work between school and university education. What are the advantages and disadvantages?
12. Today more and more tourists are visiting places where conditions are difficult, such as the Sahara Desert or the Antarctic. What are benefits and disadvantages for tourist who visit such places?
13. Some people think that consumer goods have become an important part of people’s life. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
Type 4 – Positive or Negative development essays
1. More and more work in the home and the work place is done by robots. Is it a positive or negative development?
2. In countries such as Japan, the population is getting older. Is this a positive or negative development?
3. Nowadays young people increasingly admire media persons and sports-stars even though they do not set a good example. Is it a positive or negative development?
4. Items like films and music are now available free online. Is it a positive or negative development?
5. In countries such as Japan, the population is getting older. Is this a positive or negative development?
6. In some countries it is illegal for employers to reject applicants because of their age. Is this a positive or negative development?
7. It is seen that people get married and have children in their 30s rather than when they younger. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
8. Ordinary people are becoming famous these days with the help of television and the internet. Is this a positive or negative development?
9. Nowadays parents are giving more freedom to their children than in the past. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
10. In some countries, children under 16 are not allowed to leave school by law and get full-time work. Is this a good or a bad development?
11. In many places the role of mother and father is changing. Is this a positive or negative development?
Type 5 – Cause and Solution Essays
1. Today all over the world, cities are overcrowded. Why is this so? What can be done to solve this?
2. Today in many countries, the number of plants and animals are decreasing. What are the causes? What solutions do you suggest?
3. Research suggests that prisoners tend to commit crimes after they are set free. Why do you think this is the case? Suggest some solutions to solve this problem?
4. Many people try to achieve balance between work and other life events but only a few can achieve this balance. What are the problems that do not allow people to achieve this balance? How can we overcome these problems?
5. Many people prefer to travel in car rather than buses or trains. Why do you think is this? What can government do to make people travel in buses or trains?
6. Increased production of consumer goods causes damage the environment. Why is this so? What can be the possible solutions?
7. The quality of life in large cities is becoming worse. What are the causes? What solution can you suggest?
8. In most of the countries the amount of rubbish is increasing rapidly. Why is it so? What can we do to solve the problem?
9. In some countries, young people are not only richer, but also safer and healthier than ever before. However, they are less happy. What do you think the reasons are for this? What can be done about this problem?
10. In many countries, people have more health problems because they choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Why do you think that people lead an unhealthy lifestyle? What can we do to solve this problem?
11. Older people are happiest when they spent time with family and do exercise. However, today older people have loneliness as well as physical problems. What are the causes? What may be the suggestions?
Type 6 – Two-Questions Essays
1. The number of people interested in cosmetic surgery in order to improve their physical appearance is increasing. Why do people do operations to change the way they look? Do you think it as positive or negative development?
2. Some countries have introduced a law that limits the hours an employer can ask their employees to work. Why is such a law introduced? Is it a positive or negative development?
3. Many parents are unhappy with the amount of violence in video games, TV programs and other leisure activities. How harmful could this be to children? What could be done to solve this problem?
4. Many forms of advertisement are very powerful and they have harmful effect on some people. What are the harmful effects of advertisements? What are the solutions?
5. An increasing number of advertisements are targeted at children. What are the effects of these ads on children? Should these advertisements be controlled?
6. Some individuals do activities which are considered as crime and anti-social and society as a whole should be blamed for their activities. What are the causes of anti-social activities? Who are responsible for their Anti-social behavior?
7. Young people have attitudes and ideas different from that of their parents and grandparents. How do these attitudes differ between young people and their parents and grandparents? In your opinion, do you think this would cause problems?
8. Online shopping is increasing dramatically. How could this trend affect our environment and the kinds of jobs required?
9. Most employers prefer academic qualification rather than life experience or personal qualities when looking for new employees. Why is this happening? Is it a positive or negative development?
10. Many people prefer to spend money and not save it. What are the reasons? Is this a positive or negative development?
11. Today many people turn to the internet for medical advice when they fall sick rather than going to a medical practitioner. This could be due to the fact that the services on the internet are cheaper and more convenient. However, on the whole, I feel that this is not a positive development.
12. In many countries, the tradition of families having meals together is disappearing. Why is this happening? What will be the effect of this on the family and the society?
13. In many countries, young people move to cities for work or study. What do you think are the reasons for it? Do you think advantages of this overweigh the disadvantages?
14. Some parents buy all the things their children ask for and allow them to do anything they like. Is it good for the child? Are there any consequences for that? If so, what are they?
15. Many parents think that it is good to teach the children about value of money. Why do you think is it important to teach them the value of money? What are the ways that can help children in learning about the same?
16. Ordinary people try to copy famous personalities by seeing them on TV or reading about them in the newspapers. What is the reason for this? Is it a good idea to copy famous personalities?